Dry Brined Turkey with Apple Sage Stuffing
Dry Brined Turkey Ingredients
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon peppercorns
2 tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted
1 sprig rosemary, leaves
1 tablespoon thyme, leaves
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup kosher salt
¼ cup brown sugar
1 12–14-lb. turkey, giblets and neck removed
1 medium onion, quartered
1 apples, peeled and quartered
1 head of garlic, halved
4 oz. butter, chopped into cubes
Dry Brined Turkey Method
- In a food processor or blender, combine coriander, fennel, peppercorn, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and sugar and blend until ground fine.
- Rub dry brine all over turkey; chill uncovered, 6–7 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Rinse turkey lightly and pat dry. Truss turkey and place breast side up, on a rack set in a large roasting pan. Under turkey skin, stuff chopped butter.
- Place onions, turkey with onion, lemon, garlic, and herbs.
- Bake for 2 ½ - 3 ½ hours until the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°.
- Transfer turkey to a platter; tent with foil. Let rest at least 30 minutes before carving.
Apple Sage Stuffing Ingredients
1/2 cup onions
1/2 cup celery
1 tablespoon garlic
4 tablespoon butter
1 cup apples
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon sage chopped
3 cups turkey or chicken stock
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 quarts of bread cubes
Apple Sage Stuffing Method
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, apples and garlic. Cook over medium-low until tender (do not brown), about 3-4 minutes. Add herbs, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add bread cubes and gently toss.
- Place mixture in a serving dish, dot with additional butter and cover.
- Bake for 20 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.